Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Poetics Step 1 (Repitition)

STEP ONE: 

Draw digitally.  As realistically as possible.

Drawing digitally is an instruction that seems harder than it looks. I guess I can consider myself a painter (though I don't know how I would rank among other amateur painters). But painting is very important to both Jullien and Lacan, and of course photography and film are very painterly at times.

In this experiment, I will attempt to draw and paint digitally. When conducting this experiment, I urge you to do the same.



Drawing digitally and painting digitally are painful. The click+motion repetition does not emulate my normal brushstrokes. Instead, they are completely new and cause pain that's comparable to handwriting for long periods of time. It's interesting to feel this pain. It's interesting to brush with such tiny movements.

Afternotes: Drawing digitally was a failed attempt. I had to switch to normal pencil drawing. It was difficult to use my computer's trackpad to get control over the shape of what I was trying to draw. It felt like I was trying to write for the first time (which I liken to writing with my left hand) and I couldn't get a hold of the pen right, and so my "letters" were huge, not very pretty, and didn't look how I wanted it to.

No comments:

Post a Comment