Saturday, May 3, 2014

ABOUT

Hello everyone,

Welcome to my blog. This is a blog that is attempting to think about Dr. Greg Ulmer's Electric method in a heuritic way. It's important to note that this is what Ulmer has denoted as an experiment created in order for us to understand the new way that the world is organized - not through literacy, but through Electracy. The experiment consists of five steps, made into an acronym: CATTt.

C = Contrast [In our case, The Propensity of Things,by Francois Jullien]
A = Analogy [The Cinematic by David Campany] 
T = Theory [The Four Fundamental Concepts of Psychoanalysis by Jacques Lacan]
T = Target [The Internet]
t = tale [This blog - my Heuritic Experiment]

In this blog, I attempt to construct a recipe of sorts so that whoever happens upon this page can replicate it. It's scientific, but also not, also artistic in a way because we are creating something.

A little bit about the process:

After reading each text, we are to come up with a set of five instructions from each book (this means that I will theoretically produce five blogs for the CAT, equaling 15ish blogs). All of these instructions will be thinking about the second capital letter T (the Internet). In fact, this whole blog is thinking about the internet as a major part of Electracy. Although Electracy started just as soon as the industrial revolution did, since that denotes a major shift in history, science, literacy, basically everything in our world, and the internet (I believe) is another wave of that drastic shift.

I will combine, pick out, remix 5 out of the 15 Contrast, Analogy, and Theory instructions to create a kind of poetics that will further explain the patterns that emerged out of the CAT. It is ultimately these last five blogs that will allow me to create the master instructions list, a set of 10 blogs, that will finally allow me to produce a final project, a demonstration of the Electrate process at work (Hopefully).

After I end each C-A-T, I will also blog a series of Reflections (and their response from Dr. Ulmer) to introduce a little of my thought process throughout this experiment.

A small note about the chronology of the blog: I made sure to post them in such a way that they were in methodological order. It was a little bit difficult to do this because Blogger updates the time stamp every time I edit a post. That means that, once I put the post in their proper order, I couldn't edit or else I would have to re-order all of the posts. This is very much NOT like WordPress, where the time you post a blog is "frozen" no matter how many times you go in and edit. I thought Blogger was originally like that, which would have made the process a lot easier, but it's not. It was an interesting process though, in both Electrical terms and otherwise.That means that this About post is the last post I posted (when it should have been the first?). What I mean to say is that the act of posting these blogs became an experiment of its own, one that I obviously didn't anticipate, but which allowed me to think a lot about Electracy from another point of view.


Anyway, that's that: I hope you enjoy. A least a little.


No comments:

Post a Comment